Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving!




It has been a while since I have blogged. As I look at the blood sugar log that i keep i realize that it has been over three weeks.
The previous post mentions a 108, well that is the lowest that it has been for quite some time.... I see mostly numbers in the 120's and also a 131, a 134, and a 137.
In the big picture, these numbers are still OK for me. I remember a few years ago, prior to any medication I once had a blood sugar of almost 400. So although i try not to beat myself up if my high is 137, I still need to remember to try to keep them right around 100.
My Doctor says that anything between 80 and 120 is good and should be my goal, so I am going to strive to keep it within those parameters. My next Doctor's appointment is in about three weeks. This will be the first time I have been in since she took me off of insulin.
What will my results be?
Will she be pleased with my A1C test numbers?
Will she lower my pill medication?
Will she need to increase it?
All I can do between now and then is try to keep my numbers as low as possible.
Now, All i have talked about is how high my numbers have been, and that is true until about five days ago.
Over this period I have been trying several different approaches... No Carbs Before Bed at Night, Calorie Counting, Not dining out, etc.
All results were jumping all over the place, and were inconsistent.
I have often found this to be true and it can be frustrating.
However over the past few days, much to Mark's encouragement, I have eaten much smaller portions of healthier, lighter food before bed and have had the following fasting blood sugars...
108, 104, 77 94
a much more desirable range!
and then we come to yesterday... THANKSGIVING!
You all know how bad that Holiday can be. Easily a reading in the 200's!
and I had several different Thanksgivings to attend!
First there was the one at my parents house, then a stop by Patrick's house, and finally one at my house with a few co-workers.
My goal was to try everything, which i did, but to pretty much just get a small taste of each dish.
My parents was simple, and food wise I did good. Dessert wise I had a piece of the Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie that i had made and the Panna Cotta that Mark had made. I could have had a smaller amount of each, but I still did pretty good.
Patrick's house was just an Antipasto platter (Thank God) where I probably tasted a little too much cheese, but still showed restraint.
Then came my house, I had made a second Chocolate Pecan Pie (so i didn't have to try it again this time) and a Baked Brie and some Paula Deen Sausage Balls (both of which i just nibbled on) The guests however brought all sorts of things... Roasted pork and root vegetables, Mac and cheese, Green Bean Casserole, Deviled eggs, Scalloped Potatoes, Meatballs, Strawberry/ Lemon Cake, a mystery Brownie/ Angel Food Cake, and Brownie bites.
Oh Lord, I must apply self control!
I enjoyed a small portion of everything, really just one paper plate full, but still... how would by blood sugar in the morning be?
The foods were all so rich and caloric.
The goal....anywhere between 80 and 120.
The fasting sugar... 116.
Mission accomplished.
Next mission....to keep it BELOW 120 for the next three weeks until my Doctor's appointment.
Most likely i will not make a blog entry every single day, but I will keep you all in the loop.
Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment