Saturday, January 8, 2011

Delicious Food/ Low Sugar Fit




The first part of this blog entry is about Delicious food. The second part is about the diabetic FIT I had last night.

Part 1 - So I realize that i have been neglecting posting photos of the food that i eat. That was part of the reason I started blogging in the first place, so here you go. Wednesday, two days ago, i actually remembered to take a picture of everything that i ate that day. Upon waking up i decided to make a big breakfast, something that i really enjoy, but don't always do. I had just enough fresh spinach left to saute' and put in a scramble, which i did with some jarred sun dried tomatoes. My eggs consisted of one egg white and two full eggs, i find that when I do this I feel slightly better about my cholesterol intake. I also put a pinch of curry powder in the mixture. Along with a couple pieces of french bread toast with jelly, i was completely satisfied.
For lunch my parents were in town and they wanted to meet at P.F. Changs. I spent several years thinking that it wasn't very good, but since they always want to go there, I decided to stop ordering the Chicken dishes that i am use to and look at their vegetarian options, and I have found over my last couple of visits that i really enjoy the COCONUT CURRY VEGETABLES Stir-fried mixed vegetables, crispy silken tofu and peanuts in a vegetarian coconut curry sauce. Delicious, and i ate every bite!
Then finally before work i made a salad with Spring mix, a drizzle of Ranch, Dried Cranberries, Toasted Walnuts and a sprinkling of Bleu Cheese.
a day of deliciousness.
So Deborah (My Doctor) wants me to fast for 10 hours and then take my sugar. So far, I am finding that on days that i work it is easier to eat dinner around 5pm, then start my fast. i usually work from about 8pm until about 3am, and so if i don't need to eat anything at work, i take my Fasting Sugar Reading at 3am and there is my 10 hours! I am ALWAYS hungry after work and want to eat. I feel that if i were to eat at 3am and then start my fast, then i wouldn't be able to eat again until after 1pm the next day - which is hard for me. So i feel that at least for now this is a good solution.
Also so far in 2011, while i have done my fasts at work they have been pretty good (104, 95, 99, and on this particular day 90), and i am thinking that it is because i have been active during these 10 hour periods. When I just sleep through my fasts they tend to be a little higher.

Part 2 - Now It has been a little while since I have had what i call a FIT (a period where my blood sugar drops a little too low and I get sweaty, shaky, and jittery - eating something, especially a sweet, usually brings my sugar back up to a normal level) Last night at work was the first FIT of the year. I started my "Work Day Fast" at 5pm like i have been doing. In retrospect i probably didn't have enough to eat before I started my fast, which is probably part of the reason it happened. Around midnight (7 hours in, instead of 10) it started. It wasn't that severe, but i knew that if I didn't eat something that it would get worse. I had my Meter with me so I excused my self to the bathroom and took a reading - 75 - Not too low, but still a little below average. I could feel that it was decreasing over time and that I had better eat something. Off to the vending machine for a bag of Peanut M&M's which did the trick and the rest of my shift was perfectly fine. (Sad that a vending machine snack is the answer to my problems, but it was delicious) So we will see how tonight goes. I promise to eat a larger dinner to tide me over through the 10 hours, and i also promise to have a snack with me just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment