Friday, May 13, 2011

Thanks Anne




My mother just had a reunion with some of her classmates from nursing school, and her dear friend Anne sent me a gift.
The New Soul Food cookbook for people with diabetes. It is by Fabiola Demps Gaines and Roniece Weaver, who incidentally are both from here in the orlando area and work in the healthcare industry. Little did Anne know, but this was the Perfect gift for me, because not only do I love cookbooks and trying new recipes, but I really love Soul Food and this book has a lot of really good recipes, as well as a lot of helpful information for diabetics.
The first recipe I made was Althea's Beef Gumbo. I usually alter the ingredients a little, but this one seemed great just the way it was. Lean Ground Beef, Stewed Tomatoes, Navy Beans, Onions, Corn and Okra. It was easy to make and was really delicious! and now I have something to eat for the next couple of days.
Thank you again Anne for this very thoughtful and appropriate book.
In other news I just weighed in at 181.4 lbs. I'm still trying hard to get down into the 170's. I've been doing cardio just about every day. My fasting blood sugars are not quite as low as I feel they should be, but I am definitely working on it. I need to check my meter and make sure that it is giving accurate readings. But overall things are really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment