Tuesday, October 19, 2010

a Day in Lakeland





Yesterday I was with addison holding an event in Lakeland.
I knew that I would be dining out all day and was worried for my blood sugar.
My previous few days have been 124, 109, 105, 103. I have been lowering them slowly and have been pleased with the progress, trying not to eat too many carbs before bed. I recently re-watched a Diabetes + Food DVD, and have been trying to eat a salad as my last meal of the day, and it has been working!
So, now that I am going to be eating out, and knowing that I crave delicious food, and also knowing that i do not always make the smartest choices when I am out of town.... Was I going to blow what I had been doing for the last three days?

So we started out by going to Arby's, no photo, but I had a regular beef and cheddar with the hashbrown potato like products. I figured that i would stay within the combo (No additional Add On items) and I did not UPSIZE anything! I figured that it was my first meal of the day, and my carbs should be eaten early in the day, since i would be active and hopefully the carbs would be "burned up" for energy!

Then about 3-4 hours later a group of us went out for a late lunch at Nana's Kitchen. It is a wonderful little greasy spoon/ country cookin' type of place that I had dined at a couple of other times when i was in the area! I knew that i was going to eat greasy food for the rest of the day, so i figured that i would start sharing my food with the group, that way i still got to taste what i wanted, but would not be consuming as many calories. I started out by ordering the Fried Green Tomatoes - Delicious! I ate about half of the plate and shared the rest! Then for my entree I had the Country Fried Steak with white gravy, with Corn, Collard Greens and Fried Cornbread! I ate every bite!!!!! On the flip side, sharing works both ways, Addison had ordered the Pineapple Upside Down PIE! I wanted it, but didn't want to commit to a whole piece, so I just had a generous bite of hers! Sharing rules!

Then after our event, on the way back to Orlando was the usual stop at Denny's.
They have this thing on the $4 menu which is amazing. Its a grilled cheese sandwich, but in the middle of the ooey gooey cheese lies four fried Mozzarella Sticks. It comes with fries and Marinara sauce. Jeff and I both wanted it, so we ordered one and split it, this way I got half of the sandwich and about a third of the fries, enough to satisfy my craving for it, but not all of the calories or carbs. Then for my entree i ordered the Chipotle Grilled Chicken and for my sides I chose sauteed spinach with bacon and pico and green beans. I got a little green vegetable in and didn't lose the flavor. Then finally Desiree and I (we are both diabetic) split a piece of Pecan Pie!!!!

I felt like I had eaten extremely delicious food all day long, but I still did manage to consume lots of grease, bad carbs, and empty calories. However I tried my best to cut portions and spread my eating out of several sittings.
Would I have blown it?
Or did I do OK?

Much to my excitement when I took my morning reading it was 93!
The lowest I have had in 16 days!
See, Diabetes Can Be Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment