Saturday, June 19, 2010

low blood sugar

So lately I have been having what I call a "fit"
They occur when my blood sugar drops too low, and I get light headed and dizzy, and feel like i am about to pass out.
Think of Julia Roberts from Steel Magnolias only not as bad.
I "drink my juice" or have a small snack and they slowly go away.
Now I have only been insulin dependent for 10 months.
Before insulin I had never had one of these fits.
Around December I had one.
Then a couple of months ago I had one, then at Target on monday I had one, and now tonight at work.
They seem to be getting more often.

Do you think this is something I need to worry about?

The only thing I know that I had in common during the last two fits was that i was hot.

Could the heat have something to do with them?

I know that it is going to be a hot, hot summer.
I will do my best to keep eating several small meals a day like I should, and I will always try to keep a snack within reach.

If any of you have any knowledge to share with me or any advice to give it would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Howdy Loc!!

    There are glucose tablets at the drug store for this very reason. Or you can use juice like you have or hard candy or even toostie pops! lol.

    Here's a link to healthcentral--I use their info and forums for migraines. Looks like hypoglycemia is dangerous if untreated.

    http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/type-II-diabetes-000060_5-145.html?ic=506019

    And here's what the Mayo Clinic says about it:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoglycemia/DS00198

    Have you thought about going on a glycemic index diet or low carb? The glycemic one can be complicated. I recently found out I have insulin resistance so I'm trying the low carb thing. It's a pain as it makes me cook a lot because finding reasonably priced low carb stuff at the grocery store has been awful. Hope you are well!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete