Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1


I am starting by telling you a little bit about myself. My name is Loc. I'm 37 years old. I am in love with food! I think about it all of the time. I get tattoos of it on my body. Some of my favorite hobbies including laying on the couch watching the Food Network, reading Food magazines, and planning on what I am going to eat next.
Physically I am in decent shape. I am basically thin, but I do have a large stomach. I work out with a trainer twice a week. I sometimes go to Yoga or walk of the treadmill, but I don't do either of them enough. I go through phases of watching what I eat, and then I have times where I am not so good.
I am a regular doctor visitor, and I have had high cholesterol for 4 or 5 years which I am medicated for. About 2 years ago my Doctor told me that I was diabetic. I hate it because about the time that I was becoming a full fledged FOODIE, was the same time that I discovered my diabetes. Now all of those delicious things that I have grown to love will have to be monitored. Does this mean no more Chocolate? No more Bacon? No more Cheese? What about those delicious potatoes?
Now on the bright side, I do love most produce. Grilled Chicken is definitely my friend. and I enjoy countless vegetarian dishes. However, not only loving to cook, but also loving to go out to eat and try new cuisine might prove to be difficult, so that is the purpose of this blog.
I don't want to eat boring food, I want it to be delicious! I love taking pictures, especially of the food that I eat, so they will be showing up on here for your enjoyment. I am open to suggestions and comments to help out my situation.
Now, back to my diabetes for a minute, about 4 months ago, my diabetes got bad enough to put me on insulin. I started taking 10 units a day, but have increased to 16 a day. I will also post my morning fasting blood sugar on here. My last appointment, my doctor told me that she would like for my morning sugars to be between 90 and 120. We will have to see.
I bartend at night and sleep late. I know that it is important for me to be on a schedule, so I generally wake up around noon for my fasting sugars, I then try to eat several small meals during the day (easier said than done) and I try to eat my last meal around 3 0r 4am when I get home from work, as well as that is when I take my insulin.

So.....
Here goes.
Today is January 1st, 2010.
Happy New Year!
Now earlier today around lunch time (for me that was about 3pm) I treated myself to something decadent, and terribly unhealthy, but extremely delicious!
I went to Graffiti Junktion and had a Burger with Blue Cheese and Avocado, and fries.
I did not leave one bite on my plate, knowing that this was the last decadence that I was going to allow myself for a bit.
It is currently just after 5am, upon getting home from work I made a delicious salad (pictured) consisting of a generous portion of spring mix, with a drizzle of Ken's Steak House light blueberry/ pomegranate dressing, topped with a small handful of feta cheese, dried cranberries, and walnuts. This is one of my "Go To" Salads, and along with a big glass of water, I feel pretty satisfied.

5 comments:

  1. This is going to be a great thing for you and people are going to love it!

    I will do my best to not be a bad influence on your eating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you! I am so glad that you are doing this and I have already subscribed to your blog so it will automatically appear in my reader when you post something new. xoxo! happy new year!

    lady blueberry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Addison and Traci! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Look at you, my lil' blogger.
    Here's to many years of health & happiness.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you, Loc. I didn't know you could be so funny in writing as well!! I must find this Ken's Steakhouse light blueberry/pomegranate dressing. It would be amazing on my fav salad: romaine, almonds or walnuts, mandarin oranges, and blueberries. I sometimes add some pineapple or strawberries. I've been using Light Citrus Poppyseed, but your dressing sounds better!

    ReplyDelete